Tuesday 15 April 2008

Greek vase and dried Physalis + Russian Art Exhibition


Oil on canvas board
8" x 8"


Haven't done a thing over the week-end, was too unwell and generally I try to make myself to rest a bit in the end of the week, spend time with Sasha. She is on holiday at the moment. Thank God Mum is here now to take over some of my responsibilities.

Yesterday we all went to central London to see the talk of the town - Russian Art Exhibition in the Royal Academy as it is closing soon. I was very impressed with it although I have seen quite a few of the pieces on display before while I was living in Moscow. It wasn't an exhibition of solely Russian painters. It was about Russian art collectors who propelled the impressionists to fame and put them where they are now in the history of art. Thanks to the efforts of Shchookin and Morosov Russia nowadays have the most impressive collection of the impressionists (pardon me this pun:-)). The French influencies then formed contemporary Russian art scene and it was possible to see that in the exhibition. The organizers hadfollowed the period from 1880s to the 1920s. There were paintings by Nesterov, Repin, Levitan, Serov, Manet, Monet, Gauguin, a lot of Matisse, delissious Kuprin, vibrant Malyavin, lovely Chagal, graceful Petrov-Vodkin to name just a few. Sasha showed a lot of interest to my utter pleasure. She listened to the commentary through the headphones and one lady told me that it made her day to have seen her observing art on display with such passion.

1 comment:

Tracy Hall said...

What a beautidul painting, Anya. The exhibition sounds wonderful :)